Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Tell Your Story. . .


 "Writing in a diary is a really strange experience for someone like me.  Not only because I've never written anything before, but also because it seems to me that later on neither I nor anyone else will be interested in the musings of a thirteen-year-old girl."  
~Anne Frank, Saturday June 20, 1942.~


This was the first time I have created a piece of art based on something that moved me.  I have created art before about things that have inspired me, but not about a subject that really touched me. . .


At first, I felt a little bit like Anne Frank, thinking, who is really going to see this?  That's when the quote came to me.  We all need to tell our story and make our mark.  We will touch someone. . . 


I think one of the reasons I like functional art (collaged picture frames, magnets etc.) is because it is less of a risk, as long as it looks "pretty" someone will like it.  But when you create art about the way you feel - with no intent for it to be something functional - you really put yourself out there. 


This ended up being a very eye-opening experience for me.  I do a lot of doodling and drawing and coloring in my journal - but that's just playing around.  This was work for me (which is why it took me ten days to get it finished), I had to step outside of my comfort zone a bit.  I'm glad I did, it has made me realize that I have a story of my own to tell...I hope everyone has a Blessed and cool week!

No comments: