Monday, September 15, 2008

Trying a little Blackwork...


Live Simply
Originally uploaded by cshella
I have a book on embroidery from the Royal School of Needlework that is just fascinating. I got it as a Christmas present a couple of years ago. The section on Blackwork was amazing (if I have the time I will post some pictures of the book). I finally decided to give Blackwork a try. This is a very simple pattern from the British magazine Mary Hickmott's New Stitches. The pattern is one of three that was done for a series of birthday cards. The saying on the original pattern was Happy Birthday, I changed it to Live Simply for the one I stitched. It measures about 2.5 inches by 3 inches. I used DMC number 498 (forgive me I don't know the actual color but it's a cranberry kind of red) and stitched this on 18 count Aida fabric. I usually like to stitch on linen or even weave (when I am not stitching on dryer sheets!) but since this was my first try at Blackwork I decided the Aida would be easier to work with. I am stitching a companion one that will say Be Kind. I think I am going to hang them in my bedroom. Perhaps this is the motivation I need to finally decorate our room. We moved in three years ago and have not really done a thing with it. I'm going to try a more complex Blackwork pattern next.

4 comments:

Bascom Hogue said...

You cannot go wrong with DMC 498. It is the floss I use exclusively for my red work. Like you, I also adore black work.

Learning Spanish at 41 said...

That's nice...a simple design for a sentiment about living simply. :0)

Carol said...

It is lovely, simple, but very apt.
cx

Lisa Renéa said...

Lovely! Makes my eyes hurt just thinking about stitching on 18 ct or linen! Stitch on!