Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Day Out Junking Around...

Sometimes there is nothing that feeds the creative soul more than a day out looking for (to quote Tinker Bell) "lost things" and treasures...

My sister, Gretchen, and I went out early Saturday morning to do some "junking". We went to breakfast first at a well known truck stop in Monroeville called Vanson's. (Great breakfast!) Then we headed down Route 20 to the western end of Clyde where we found a rather large "Antique Mall". This place is wonderful -full of a little bit of everything. I found a bag of old collector's spoons for $6.00, not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but I will think of something...


I also found some old childrens books that I could not pass up. They are so brightly colored and such a joy to look at. They would be wonderful to use for collage projects, although Iwill have to work my way up to it. I was always raised to really respect books and the printed word; as much as I love using old book pages and things like that in my creations I always start off feeling guilty - like I'm disrespecting the book. Even though I know I am re-creating something wonderful with it so that it can live on in another way and offer even more joy to those that see it...
Finally, I found this wonderful green/teal/sparkly fabric to be used as the backing fabric to my bookmark. It contrasts nicely with the purple/eggplant kind of color the papercloth turned out to look like. That's the beauty of papercloth - I might be trying for one type of look, and get something totally different -but all good! When I made this papercloth I was actually trying to get a worn leathered look, but I ended up getting a worn eggplant kind of look. The latter actually ended up going really well with the dried hydrangea flowers I used. Sometimes a change in plans works out for the best! I hope everyone has a Blessed week a head of them.

3 comments:

Grace said...

I love finding old kids books! I found a copy of one I had as a child the other day - loved the memories.

Anonymous said...

Hi, you were kind to post a comment on my blog after seeing my ATC on Melanie Testa's blog ... thank you! I have the same feeling about tearing up books. To get over my reluctance, I bought a really damaged dictionary for 25 cents at Salvation Army. Now if I could only rip up the cool old map book I also found that day! I love your bookmark!

Lyric said...

you've got to look at Kelli Perkin's spoon poetry tutorial
http://ephemeralalchemy.blogspot.com/2010/06/spoon-poetry-tutorial.html

It makes me want to go find spoons!!!