Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Button Tells A Story...

About a year ago my dad had given me a CD with a bunch of scanned old family photos on it. I had been thinking about using them in a project but I just wasn't sure what I should do. Then about two weeks ago I was looking around on clothpaperscissors.com (They have a member site that is fabulous!). They had posted a reader challenge involving buttons...

I knew almost immediately that I wanted to somehow utilize one of those old family photos into a project for this challenge. I didn't want to just do a collage - I wanted it to be something that would be more like a treasured family object. I came up with a button picture frame.

Buttons truly do tell a story. When you see a button in a jar, you are seeing only the button, but what about the coat that it came from? Or the cuff link that it was turned into? What if it made it's way from a wedding dress to the eye of a favorite doll? The next time you look at an old button, stop and think about where it has been...

6 comments:

Paula Guhin said...

I like your blog very much, Cassie! Thanks, too, for adding a comment to mine, MixedMediaManic. I get depressed when no-one seems to be reading it! Ha!

The Other Side of Me said...

HI Cassie,

This is such a beautiful piece. You knocked it out of the park!! I love the picture of your loved ones and the frame is terrific.

Tammy

Unknown said...

This is beautiful, Cassie. Such a great way to preserve history-- and buttons ;)

Nadia said...

There are so many wonderful ways to use buttons. This is a beautiful way to use them. You have so many good ideas!
-Garden Girl

Sandy said...

What a perfect use for the photo and buttons. Thanks for commenting on my blog and welcome to BJP. I've really enjoyed being part of that group.

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

Great use for buttons!!