Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Beauty in an Old Growth Forest marks the end of summer


Earlier today I was organizing the last of the pictures that I had taken of different things this past summer. I had almost forgotten about the trip the girls, my nephew, and I had taken up to Hartwick Pines State Park when we were at the farm in Michigan...

Hartwick Pines is a 300 year old + forest in Northern Michigan. The park is run by the state with lots of hiking/walking trails, a visitor and education center. This park also has a living history museum on the logging industry in the area. Lots of chipmunks and birds...

I was able to convince the kids to take the longer trail that led to a chapel in the woods. This was no easy task as it was almost 90 degrees that day and very humid. Even with the shade and nice breeze it was still very hot. But the hike was well worth it...

The chapel had no lights in it. The alter was a beautiful wooden alter - simple but peaceful. The cross was a simple cut out in the building and this picture really does not do it justice. I tried taking one with my flash and it lit the chapel up very well but then you could not see the cross. I love how the trees color it against the darkness of the building...

I have no idea what kind of mushroom this is but I have never seen anything like it before. It looked quite striking up against the tree. I hope you can take some fond summer memories (and pictures help too) and keep them with you all winter long. Have a Blessed weekend!

3 comments:

Thespa McLaughlin said...

Oh wow, beautiful country there. I love trees. I love the feeling of the forest. Thanks for sharing these pics and your day.

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

This mushroom looks like a beach umbrella!! I don't think I've ever seen one like that before either!

Suzanne said...

Glad to see I'm not the only one still catching up on summer photos! :)
The cross in the chapel is so beautiful...I'm glad you were able to convince your "travelers" to walk with you to see it. Thanks for sharing.