Sunday, July 31, 2011

Some watercolor playing...

I put together this little journal before we left for the farm in early July. It's just a simple construction of whater color pages, (cut pages were 6" wide by 12" long, put together the book measures about 6" by 6") sewn together with some embroidery floss. I wanted something small and portable that I could work on at the farm.



I am still working on my drawing skills - but this is my rendition of the farm house. I did not draw the back addition, I couldn't see it from where I was sitting when I was drawing anyway. The front porch and columns are field stone. (I have yet to figure out how to paint depth.)



My favorite summer flowers are cornflowers and black eyed susans. I love there vibrancy and I find them very easy to draw and paint!


Both Fiona and Alexa were painting when I painted this. This explains the purple bow (Alexa's favorite color) and the light pink background (Fiona's favorite color). I'm still trying my hand at drawing outside of my comfort zone (anything besides flowers!). So tonight I am going to raid my neighbor's front lawn; they have a bunch of huge white mushrooms growing in there lawn -picture perfect mushrooms. They aren't real happy about them but I think they make interesting still lifes for me to practice drawing! Have a Blessed week:)







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cassie,

Well I just got caught up with what I missed on "nonnie". I loved your collage quote, and what you said about your girls, and them being your world. And yet you can be honest and state it will be nice when they go off the school in the fall...so true!
Like you, I love the summer, being home, out in nature, creating with my daughters, but come August give me cooler weather and so structure for pete's sake! I actually got an embroidery project that DID NOT suck done in July. I am doing some changes to by blog and hope to have a post up by the end of this week.
Cheers,
Leah

The Other Side of Me said...

Hi Cassie,

I hope you are having a great time. The journal looks great. I love water color paints and pencils. The mushrooms will be interesting. Have fun.

Tammy

Suzanne said...

Love your journal, Cassie. I think you've done a beautiful job on the paintings you've posted.
The girls chose pretty colors for the black eyed susan painting. :)
Would love to see the mushroom painting when its completed!